Alternative Veterinary Medicine Bend
Our alternative veterinary services are designed to provide your pet with the care they need.
Holistic and alternative treatments for pets have become more common in modern veterinary practice. At Westside Pet Hospital, these treatments and techniques are complementary to traditional medicine. Our goal is your goal: A happy, healthy pet. Sometimes, the shortest path to that goal is an alternative treatment.
Many alternative or complementary treatments, such as acupuncture, have Eastern influences. Others, like homeopathy, are based on the idea of treating the whole patient instead of the disease. Sometimes the body’s natural defenses just need a nudge.
You may not know that alternative medicine for pets is even a thing. It’s good to be skeptical about techniques like acupuncture or Chinese herbal combinations add or vitamin injections remove, but we see them work every day. We encourage our owners to be open to any solution that helps your cat, dog, or pocket pet feel better. We encourage our owners to be open to any solution that helps your cat, dog, or pocket pet feel better.
Dr. Shaw trained in veterinary homeopathy in 2000 and became a certified veterinary acupuncturist in 2004. He believes that a blend of traditional and complementary techniques helps Westside Pet Hospital deliver optimal results.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncturists believe that illness occurs when something blocks or unbalances the chi (life energy). Acupuncture can be used to treat acute or chronic ailments, strengthen the immune system, and relieve pain.
- Chinese Herbal Medicine: Chinese herbal remedies are used to help realign a pet’s balance in order to improve overall well-being. Chinese herbal formulas lengthen the effect of acupuncture.
- Homeopathy: Homeopathy means to treat like with like. Homeopathy’s primary focus is to strengthen the patient’s defenses and shift the balance in favor of recovery.
- Cancer Treatment: Traditional chemotherapy can be hard on pets. We can devise a natural cancer treatment plan. Our hope is to cure the cancer, but sometimes, even the knowledge that we can make your remaining time together as comfortable as possible gives you the encouragement and them the added strength to endure this trying time.
- Food Therapy & Nutritional Counseling: Food therapy is the practice of healing using natural foods along with or instead of medications and herbs. Nutritional counseling helps clients select the best prepared foods for their pets.
- Prolotherapy: Prolotherapy is a natural healing method used to treat chronic musculoskeletal pain and injuries. A combination of concentrated solutions is injected into joint spaces, ligaments and tendons, and acupuncture points to reactivate the body’s natural healing response.
- Gold Bead Implantation: Implanting gold beads in acupuncture points is used to treat many chronic conditions, such as hip dysplasia, spondylosis of the back, and epileptic seizures.
Westside Pet Hospital
133 SW Century Dr #102
Bend, Oregon 97702
Open Address in Google Maps
Monday - Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm
Evening appointments by arrangement.